Tools for Practicing at Home
- Online Recorder for Playing Tests
- Blank Sheet Music
- Performance Rubric: This rubric is used for assessing playing in the lessons and at home. A similar one is used for auditions for County performance groups. Students have a copy of this in their Practice Journals or in their Instrumental Music Folders.
- Preparation Target
String Technique Links
- Tuning (Violin) (Viola) (Cello) (Bass)
- Fingering Chart (Violin) (Viola) (Cello)(Bass)
- Bow Holds, German & French (Bass)
- Fingerboard with Sound (Violin)
- Interactive Fingerboard (Violin)
- Major Scale (Violin) (Viola) (Cello)
- Minor Scale (Violin) (Viola) (Cello)
- Chromatic Scale (Violin) (Viola) (Cello)
- Finger Patterns
- Important Bowings
When a young student studies privately on a regular basis, their progress is amazing. They also benefit from the relationship with a mentor in their private teacher. Attached is a list of teachers affiliated with the University of Maryland School of Music for your information as a resource in finding a private teacher.
You can find qualified teachers at the following locations:
- Prince George’s Philharmonic Orchestra
- Chuck Levin’s Washington Music
- Gaile’s Violin
- Music & Arts
- Tempo Music Lessons
- D.C. Youth Orchestra
- University of Maryland Hire a Teacher
Summer Instrumental Music Enrichment
University of Maryland Summer Youth Music Camp
Welcome to the Summer Youth Music Camp at the University of Maryland! The overwhelming popularity of the camp allows us to continue to expand our offerings to make it the best music camp in the mid-Atlantic region. This year we are adding a camp for pianists along with new elective class options such as Ukulele, Arts! and Games.
The Band Camp will take place from July_____ while the Choral, Orchestra and Piano Camp will occur July ______. All events will take place in the impressive Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center.
Check this link for full information:
Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/UMDSYMC
Foundation for the Advancement of Music & Education (FAME) Summer Technology Program
FAME is offering two summer music technology programs: Summer Music Technology at the University of Maryland School of Music and Beats, Books and Hooks at Bowie State University. For more information, see the following materials:
Prince George’s Summer Instrumental Music Experience (SIME)
To enroll, the student must:
- be entering the 5th, 6th, or 7th grade in fall of 2016
- have completed at least one successful year of in-school instrumental music instruction
- be enrolled in the instrumental music program at their school, if one exists
- have instrumental music teacher approval to enroll
- Dates are June _________ from 7 – 8:30pm At Kenmoor Middle School. Please see the application for more details. Registration closes on May 17, 2016. All applications MUST be received by that date.
D.C. Youth Orchestra Program
DC Youth Orchestra Program is a comprehensive, curriculum-based music education and youth development program open to students from Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia. DCYOP offers fall, spring, and summer sessions on all orchestral instruments for beginning through advanced students, ages 4 ½ to 18. Located at Eastern High School on Capitol Hill, the program serves over 600 students a year and consists of seven ensembles, including the renowned Youth Orchestra.
DeMatha Summer Camps
DeMatha High School hosts a series of playing opportunities for all (co-ed) students, from grades 7-12. DeMatha sponsors a sight-reading camp, jazz workshop in addition to a saxophone day.